GIS Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT IS GIS?
GIS is an automated system for the capture, storage, retrieval, analysis, and display of spatial (geographically referenced) data.
2. WHICH MAPS CAN BE ACCESSED FROM THE GIS DEPARTMENT?
Several maps such as on administrative boundaries (KCCA, Division, Parish, village), social services (schools, health centers, cultural sites), Infrastructure (roads, taxi parks, markets, fuel stations, spring water services), drainage (rivers/ drainage channels, open waters), Land uses, Altitude (contours, hills, slope).
3. WHO CAN REQUEST FOR THE MAPS?
Anybody can request for a map.
4. WHAT DOES ONE HAVE TO DO TO GET THE MAP?
The individual/company/Institution can submit a request on a company headed paper and or fill our form, sign and submit to the Directorate.
5. WHAT IS THE COST OF THE MAPS?
There is no cost attached to preparing the maps.
6. HOW ARE THE REQUESTED FOR MAPS SHARED?
The maps are usually shared as pdf or jpeg but other formats can be created if the user specifies.
7. CAN DIGITAL SHAPEFILES BE ACCESSED?
8. WHERE CAN I ACCESS THE DIGITAL SHAPEFILES IN UGANDA?
National Forestry Authority and Department of Lands and Surveys (Entebbe).
9. WHAT IS THE SCALE OF THE MAPS?
The layouts are created at different scales to maximize visibility of the features that the users are interested in.
10. WHICH UTM ZONE DOES UGANDA AND KAMPALA FALL IN?
Uganda falls in Zone 36 North and South of the Equator. Kampala falls in Zone 36 North.