Development Applications Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHO DO WE ADDRESS LETTERS TO IN PHYSICAL PLANNING?
All letters should be addressed to the
Director Physical Planning
Kampala Capital City Authority
P.O. Box 7010
2. WHERE CAN I FIND AN ARCHITECT TO PREPARE MY PLANS?
A list of Registered and Practicing Architects may be obtained from the Architect’s Registration Board of Uganda’s website and further guidance can be provided from the Architect’s Registration Board offices,1st Floor, Kalamu House (PKF Building), Plot 1B Kira Road, or the Uganda Society of Architects, Plot 9 Agip House, Kampala Road.
3. CAN KCCA PROCESS TRANSACTIONS FOR KAMPALA DISTRICT LAND BOARD SUCH AS CHANGE OF USER AND EXPIRED LEASES?
No. Since Kampala Capital City Authority came into existence, the Kampala District Land Board (KDLB) by enactment of Kampala City Act 2010 became null and void because Kampala is no longer a District but an Authority. KCCA has no mandate to renew expired leases or issue new leases. Many similar cases are still pending for the Land Board to be constituted to handle land matters in Kampala.
4. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR A PLAN TO BE APPROVED?
Within 3 months after submission of building plans.
5. CAN I BUILD IMMEDIATELY AFTER SUBMISSION OF MY PLAN?
No, if you construct without permission (approved plans), you will be prosecuted in the courts of law.
6. WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE PHYSICAL PLANNING COMMITTEE (PPC) IN THE PLAN APPROVAL PROCESS?
The role of PPC in plan approval is to Approve, Defer or Reject building plans based on the recommendations and field findings of the technical staff.
7. WHAT DO I DO IF MY BUILDING PLAN IS REJECTED?
Basing on the reasons for rejection, your proposal can be reconsidered by the Physical planning committee after making the necessary changes.
8. WHAT IS THE PROCESS FOR PLAN APPROVAL?
You will be availed with a checklist at customer care which has all requirements for submission of building plans. Your plans will undergo assessment after all the requirements have been met. You will then pay the assessment fee and finally submit your plans for approval at customer care.
9. HOW DO I FIND OUT THE STATUS OF MY BUILDING PLAN?
At customer care or KCCA website if it has been reviewed by Physical Planning Committee.
10. CAN I HAVE TEMPORARY PERMISSION TO START CONSTRUCTION AS I WAIT FOR APPROVAL OF MY BUILDING PLAN?
No, temporary permits for construction of buildings are no longer issued.
11. WHAT CAN I DO IF MY BUILDING ENCROACHES ON THE ROAD RESERVE?
You should carry out a survey to have your plot boundaries opened by a registered surveyor and then demolish the encroachments at your own cost or you will be prosecuted and KCCA will demolish at your cost.
12. WHAT IS A STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY REPORT?
It’s made by a registered Engineer for all buildings that are existing or buildings under construction before approval can be granted.
13. WHAT IS THE IMPLICATION OF A CAVEAT ON LAND TITLE FOR APPROVAL OF MY PLANS?
It prevents the registered proprietor from carrying out any developments on that particular piece of land and must be removed formally.
14. HOW DO I EXPEDITE THE APPROVAL PROCESS FOR MY PLAN IF IT HAS TAKEN MORE THAN TWO MONTHS?
Write an application to Director Physical Planning requesting for expediting of the approval process.
15. WHERE DO I SUBMIT PLANS AND CORRECTIONS, LETTERS TO DEFERRED PLANS IN KCCA?
At the Physical Planning Customer care desk for development applications and letters may be submitted at the Directors Office.
16. WHERE DO WE PICK A BANK ADVICE FORM (B.A.F) AFTER ASSESSMENT?
At the former DFCU Bank Town Hall branch next to the KCCA main entrance.
17. HOW LONG AFTER SUBMISSION DO I GET APPROVAL?
Ideally it should be one month or less, but due to the incredible backlog of plans we are trying to clear sometimes it may shoot up a bit to 2 months. However, in the event that that happens, we welcome a request letter from the Client/Architect for expediting the plans.
18. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION OF BUILDING PLANS?
Refer to submission check list on the website and a copy can be obtained from Physical Planning Customer Care desk.