Waste Treatment and Disposal
In Phase II, KCCA will tender a joint concession for the existing Kiteezi Landfill and a future waste disposal site, make available the necessary land for a new site for continued disposal after the end of the life of the Kiteezi site, identify and make available a site for a transfer station (possibly at the existing Kiteezi site), and ensure that all waste collected in Kampala is directed to the designated disposal facilities (as a condition of all collection licenses issued).
The operator for waste treatment will design, build, operate and maintain a sanitary landfill and waste treatment facility at Ddundu in compliance with Ugandan and international standards; close the landfill sites at the end of their useful life, provide aftercare and collect LFG (if deemed viable) on completed sections of the landfill; employ an appropriate choice of technology e.g. composting, Energy from Waste, Anaerobic Digestion, etc.; exercise commercially viable means of formalizing the work of existing informal workers on the site; and establish and operate a transfer station at a designated site if required in the service level specifications.
Already, KCCA has purchased 135 acres of land (at Ddundu) for this purpose and procured Transaction Advisory Services of the International Finance Corporation (IFC) for this forthcoming PPP contract. We shall have an investor promotion conference in September 2016 where we will appraise the prospective investors of the opportunities in the waste management industry.
- Source for funds to continued sensitization of both the political leaders and the public.
- Continue to address the emerging issues with the concessionaires in line with the conditions of the contract
- IFC to complete Transaction Advisory Services for Phase II of the project in June 2017.
- IFC shall conduct an investor promotion conference in September 2016 where we will appraise the prospective investors of the opportunities in the waste management industry.
- Procure, under a PPP arrangement, a private company to build, operate and transfer a waste treatment facility in Ddundu.